Wahta Mohawk Territory
The Wahta community was founded when a group of the Mohawk people moved from Kanesatake, Quebec to Gibson Township in 1881. The Wahta Mohawks are mainly descended from Mohawks who were members of the Five Nations confederacy, which also included the Oneida, Onondaga, Cayuga and Seneca. The Wahta First Nation is located approximately 8 km from the town of Bala, Ontario, on the Muskoka Road #38 close to the intersection of Muskoka Rd 38 and Hwy 400 interchange.
To learn more about Wahta, visit wahtamohawks.com
While in Wahta, visit these Chamber members:
- The Wahta Station, Laura’s Kitchen (also at The Wahta Station) and the award-winning Mrs. H’s Fish and Chips
Beyond Wahta, our Chamber also has members in the Port Severn area of Georgian Bay, including Severn Lodge, Rawley Resort, Spa and Marina and our Chamber partners whenever possible with the Southeast Georgian Bay Chamber of Commerce.